Watermelon & Halloumi Baby Gem Cups
If making as canapés for a large group, chop the griddled halloumi into smaller pieces and serve little spoonfuls of the salad in the smaller baby gem leaves too!
- 3 baby gem lettuces
- ½ small water melon chopped into chunks, seeds removed
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced
- 4 tbsp shredded mint
- 100g cucumber, cut into chunks
- 2 ripe tomatoes, deseeded and cubed
- 2 tbsp pinenuts
- 250g block of vegetarian halloumi cheese, sliced into 8 pieces
- 50ml white wine cider vinegar or lime juice
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper
For the dressing
How To Cook
- First, toast the pinenuts. Warm a dry, heavy based frying pan to a medium heat. Throw in the pine nuts and heat through. Shake regularly so that they colour all over. When they reach a deep golden colour (which doesn't take long at all) remove from the pan and set aside. Keep a close eye on them while cooking as they do burn easily.
- Seperate the baby gem lettuces into individual leaves using the larger outer leaves rather than the smaller internal ones. Arrange eight leaves on a large serving platter.
- In a large bowl mix together the watermelon, onion, tomato, cucumber, mint and toasted pinenuts.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients, pour over the watermelon mixture and toss well. Griddle the halloumi slices on a griddle pan or BBQ for about 30 seconds on each side or until golden griddle lines appear.
- Place a slice of halloumi cheese in each baby gem leaf and then spoon in the watermelon salad. Reserve the leftover dressing from the bottom of the bowl for later – it's too tasty to waste. Serve the cups as canapés or two per person as an unusual starter. www.charlottetolhurst.com
1 person has helped to review this recipe.
This looks so good as well!!
Leave a Comment
You must sign in or register to leave a comment.
Keep all your favourite recipes in one place, upload your own, rate other users' creations and sign up to our newsletter packed with exclusive giveaways, news and tips by registering today.
On Sale Now!
June issue of CookVeg is available now
You might also like
No rating - be the first!