Rarebit Toasts with Red Onion Compôte
A great little savoury nibble that works well with a glass of wine, or serve as a more substantial lunchtime snack accompanied by a rocket and cherry tomato salad.
- 25g butter
- 2 large red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegetarian redcurrant jelly
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 150g Cathedral City mature
- Cheddar cheese, cubed
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 8 slices herby or olive bread
- drizzle of veggie Worcestershire sauce or Hendersons Relish
For the red onion compote
For the rarebit toasts
How To Cook
- For the compôte, melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onions and thyme. Stir over a high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Cover with a lid and turn the heat right down, then cook for about 15 minutes. Uncover, turn the heat up and add the vinegar and redcurrant jelly. Stir for 1–2 minutes until jammy, and then set aside.
- For the rarebit, place the butter and flour in a saucepan and cook over a low heat for one minute. Add the milk and stir until it's boiling. Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Grill the bread for 2-3 minutes until golden. Pour the sauce and a splash of veggie Worcestershire sauce on top and grill for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Serve each of the rarebit toasts topped with a teaspoon of red onion compôte. www.cathedralcity.co.uk
0 people have helped to review this recipe.
Leave a Comment
You must sign in or register to leave a comment.
Keep all your favourite recipes in one place, upload your own, rate other users' creations and sign up to our newsletter packed with exclusive giveaways, news and tips by registering today.
On Sale Now!
July issue of CookVeg is available now
You might also like
No rating - be the first!